Do you want to root OnePlus 3? Here I will show you How to Root OnePlus 3 and Install TWRP. TWRP is a custom recovery which provides touchscreen enabled interface. It allows users to flash rooms, backup current system and do lots of additional stuff which is not supported by stock recovery images which comes pre-installed with OnePlus 3.
This guide will show you how to install latest TWRP recovery for OnePlus 3 and root it. Here we will install latest TWRP 126.96.36.199 and root OnePlus 3. Download TWRP 188.8.131.52 for OnePlus 3 from below and follow steps carefully. If you install TWRP on your OnePlus 3, you can then flash Custom Roms, Custom Kernel, Custom Mods and any zip files like xposed installer.
Also Check: How to Root LeEco Le Max 2 and Install TWRP
OnePlus 3 comes with a 5.5 inch display with 1080 × 1920 pixels which gives it PPI of around 401 pixel per inch. It is powered by 1.6 GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor and comes with a 64 GB internal storage that cannot be expanded. It has 6 GB ram for super-fast performance. It sports a 16-megapixel primary rear camera with dual-Led flashlight and an 8-megapixel secondary front shooter. It runs on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow and is powered by a 3000 mAh non removable battery.
Benefits of rooting OnePlus 3:
- Able to install custom Roms on OnePlus 3 and explore new features.
- Increase performance of your device by tweaking kernel and overclocking device.
- Increase performance by hibernating battery consuming apps using apps like greenify..
- Increase performance by uninstalling ram-hogging inbuilt apps.
- Rooting will void OnePlus 3 warranty.
- Follow all steps correctly otherwise you will end up with a bricked phone. We are not responsible for any damage to your phone. Proceed at your own risk.
- Make sure you have 70% charge or more.
Disclaimer: This process will erase all your data including phone settings, contacts and sms. Please make sure to Backup data.
Files needed to root and install TWRP on OnePlus 3
- OnePlus 3 USB Drivers-Download
- Minimal ADB tool - Download here
- TWRP Recover for OnePlus 3. Make sure to rename it to recovery.img and place it in ADB folder.
- SuperSU.zip for OnePlus 3 form chainfire.
Steps to Root OnePlus 3 and Install TWRP
- First enable the USB debugging option in OnePlus 3.
- To enable USB debugging option we first need to make the developer options active for that go to your Settings -> About Phone -> now tap the build number 7-8 times until you see a message ‘you are now a developer’.
- Now as we have enabled developer options, go back to Settings-> developer options -> and now enable USB debugging also enable OEM unlock.
Note: First we will need to Unlock the Bootloader in order to flash TWRP and root OnePlus 3
- Now go to folder where you installed the adb and by holding the Shift Key, right-click on any blank space and select Open command window here.
- Now connect the OnePlus 3 to Pc/Laptop using USB.
- Now we need to reboot phone into fastboot mode by typing the following command.
adb reboot bootloader
- Your device will reboot into fastboot mode. If it doesn’t, check if your USB cable is connected properly and you have drivers installed properly. You can check a list of connected device by typing the following command.
- Once device boots into fastboot mode type the following command to unlock bootloader.
fastboot oem unlock
7. To check if your device bootloader is successfully unlocked you can use this command
fastbook oem device-info
8.Now to start flashing the recovery, type the following command.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
That’s it! You have installed TWRP recovery on OnePlus 3.
How to Root OnePlus 3 using TWRP Recovery
- Move SuperSu.zip to root of your phone's internal memory. (By root I mean not in any folder just enter into your internal storage and place the file there and not in any folder.)
- Boot your device in recovery mode by pressing Volume Up+ Power button simultaneously.
- Now in TWRP click on Install menu and select the SuperSu.zip file you placed in root of internal storage to root OnePlus 3. Now swipe to install SuperSu.zip.
- That’s it you have rooted and installed TWRP recovery on your OnePlus 3. You can check if root access is working properly by Root Checker app from play store.
This was complete guide on How to Root OnePlus 3 and Install TWRP on it. If any questions let me know in comments below.