Ever came across the term ‘ Deep web ’ or ‘ Dark web ’ while reading an article or while watching a YouTube video? And want to know how you can access that internet which is not shown up in search engines?
Let’s first define internet, deep web and dark web in simple words
Internet: This is the easy one. It’s the common Internet everyone uses to read news, visit Facebook, and shop. Just consider this the “regular” Internet.
The Deep Web: The deep web is a subset of the Internet that is not indexed by the major search engines. This means that you have to visit those places directly instead of being able to search for them. So there aren’t directions to get there, but they’re waiting if you have an address. The Deep Web is largely there simply because the Internet is too large for search engines to cover completely. So the Deep Web is the long tail of what’s left out. Experts say that Internet consists of 96% of deep web which is not indexed anywhere because of this Deep web is compared with an ice berg, the vast majority of the Internet is obscured from easy view.
The Dark Web: The Dark Web (also called Darknet) is a subset of the Deep Web that is not only not indexed, but that also requires something special to be able to access it, e.g., specific proxy software or authentication to gain access. The Dark Web often sits on top of additional sub-networks, such as Tor, I2P, and Freenet, and is often associated with criminal activity of various degrees, including buying and selling drugs, pornography, gambling, etc. While the Dark Web is definitely used for those things more than the standard Internet or the Deep Web, there are many legitimate uses for the Dark Web as well.
More about dark web:
Neither the deep web nor the dark web can be indexed, but not all that cannot be indexed is the dark web. For purposes of this question, I assume you want the dark web – that much-hyped, mysterious place that the media would have you believe is a wretched hive of scum and villainy where you’d be well-served to shoot first if you hope to survive. Activists will tell you it’s our last, best hope for privacy and free speech, all alone in the night.
Pros of Dark Web:
- There are number of instances when whistleblowers and activists know about misconduct and corruption of top Government official, but never speak in front of public. Using dark web they can contact with news channels and journalist and provide them proof of misconduct.
- It is a good place for oppressed people to share their thoughts with other oppressed people without any fear.
- It is a safe heaven for the people with controversial thought as they can communicate with same thought people without any fear.
Cons of Dark Web:
- As mentioned above it is a part of black market. Therefore dark web is used for all illegal services which includes abuse, smuggling, gambling, porn, hacking, drugs, fraud, etc.
- It is the place where you can become the victim of identity theft. For example, a person who is doing job in a bank uses these dark web, may reveal your personal information to other person. This is not only case of bank but in other department also.
- A famous eg. of dark web is silk road , a popular site for selling drugs which was shut down by the FBI in 2013.
Dark web consist of .onion suffix which is a top-level domain. You can’t open these domain name in simple browser. Also a regular search engine can’t find these sites. The reason being high level of security and anonymity. You can access .onion sites either using TOR ( The Onion Router) browse. You can also combine VPN (Virtual Private Network) with tor for more anonymity.
Internet is huge out of which majority of us only use a part of. You can play with dark web and tor browser but I advise be safe and read more about dark web before actually diving deep.